Monday, February 24, 2014

Love Note #18: When I Come Home, I Am Filled With Warmth For This Region

Name: Joy Underhill
I Am: Business Writer
Years in Rochester: 56 years
Current Home: Farmington, NY

Dear Rochester,

You have been my home for almost my entire life, which is saying something. I have fended off complaints about weather, smugness, racial divisiveness, isolation, and a dead downtown for decades, and I’m still fighting. Because I know a little secret that many others know – that Rochester is a wonderful place to live, thrive, and raise a family.

Where else can you afford to buy a house with a decent yard, attend dozens of cultural events of the highest quality, enjoy waterfronts in every direction, and still be within a 6-hour drive of major East Coast cities? Right here.

I love to travel, but when I come home, I am filled with warmth for this region. Yes, life is slower, but that’s a good thing. I remember one time when I’d been to Long Island visiting my son, navigating the hazards of the Long Island Expressway and searching for parking at a mall for a half hour (not during Christmas). Pack so many people together and they’re bound to get testy. But on the way home, I stopped nearby for lunch, and it was like a breath of fresh air. The people smiled easily, were kinder, and simply enjoyed life more. 

To be more specific, here’s a short list of why I love Rochester:
  • Historic brick buildings coupled with outstanding architecture, all reflected in water
  • A thriving agricultural community that provides great access to fresh foods
  • Top notch cultural and musical events – with NO traffic
  • Heavy snowfalls that soften and muffle the landscape – and invite warm nights in front of the fire
  • A huge variety of ethnic and specialty foods, prepared by first-generation immigrants
  • Broad educational opportunities at several fine universities
  • Some of the best healthcare anywhere

Of course, like any city, Rochester has its problems. But it’s gotten a bad rap, especially about the weather. Our “terrible weather” keeps us free of droughts, mudslides, wildfires, sandstorms, and tidal flooding – and returns to us maple syrup, lilacs, apples, grapes, and summer days that the snowbirds return for. I choose to measure my years by our glorious seasons, our proud history, and our determination to make Rochester an even better place to live for our children.

Love,
Joy




No comments:

Post a Comment